About

My photo
I continue to grow and develop my passion for drawing and painting, while building a portfolio in animation, illustration, video and motion graphics.

Monday, June 07, 2010

On one hand I am behind with my posts on the other it feels as though I am living the dream...I have felt similar in the past, but it has never felt like this! Brent dropped a line early last week..."you'll be seeing everything differently by the end of the first week" he was right on point...there is something very special happening down at the pod. It's fun, focused, energy...everyone is drawing all the time, the "demos" are sessions, where one minute Mark, John, Brent, George or Gary are working something out in front of us. Meanwhile, the group is firing questions, at the same time everyone is sketching and adding to the discussion. Or... it will be dead silent and everyone will be completely focused on the advice being given or story being told.
Sunday was special because we were invited to Mark's house/ studio for dinner, it was one of the coolest things I have ever done. Everyone I chatted with was floored by the experience. Mark welcomed every last one of us as if we were part of his family...I don't want to speak for everyone but, it was a memorable night for me.
We had our first figure drawing sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, we were worked a technique where you look to flesh out the silhouette of the figure with pastel, then go back and find the highlights and mid tones. It is still very challenging for me, but several in the group are grasping it very well and putting down some really beautiful drawings. We watched some really great demos last week as well. Mark worked out a landscape using pastels, oils, wax and charcoal. It produced a very interesting look and overall a beautiful piece. John gaves a demo where he fleshed out a wonderful rendering of Vincent Vangogh using oil pastel, oil paint and wax. Friday, a group of us took the opportunity to check out the first friday art walk. I am glad we did. It was sensory overload...everywhere we walked some sort of mini event was taking place. Whether it was a man riding a unicycle while juggling fire, a women in full body paint on the roof of a building, aerialists dangling from fabric in an alleyway or 80 or so zombies roaming the streets with baby zombies in tow There was plenty to take in. I enjoyed the Von Art exhibit for his figure work I really like the looseness, and the Arts Incubator the because I learned a quick bit about how prints are made. Monday brought with it the due date for out first assignment and our first crit. Gary Kelley arrived, and reviewed our pieces to the group, he is concise and has a pleasant way about him. He is very smart and and I am often embarrassed at my lack of knowledge when he asks me questions about art including my own. I think that is what I like about his work. It is sophisticated. My eyes roam the piece looking for more, while the shapes are so simple. You should see his figure work. I will try to get some images posted.
Gary assigned Project II "Blue." I am working the process to an acrylic painting... so we will see what happens. Today, Gary gave a nice presentation on the picture books he has worked on and a bit of the bees-knees on picture book illustration. It was a good discusion and I learned some great tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment